Westchester Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Clinical Lab Supervisor - Blood Bank- WMC Health
at Westchester Medical Center
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC
Blood Bank- WMC Health
3:30PM to 12MN
- Contact: Icesolene Cummings
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Summary: The Clinical Laboratory Supervisor coordinates the daily activities of staff in the Blood Bank. The Clinical Laboratory Supervisor supervises the on-going technical operations of the section and ensures the validity and accuracy of test results. Coordinates staff, materials and equipment needs.
· Supervises Blood Bank staff, including training, discipline. Authorizes overtime as needed to ensure efficient workflow and adequate coverage. Responsible for ongoing evaluation of job performance.
- Oversees timely filling of all transfusion requests. Prepare blood or blood products for patient use and reports to Blood Bank Director on a timely basis related to technical and professional problems.
- Ensures compliance with AABB, FDA, CAP, DNV and Department of Health Standards for blood according to usage and projected need.
- Monitors supplies of reagents to ensure adequacy at all times. Also orders blood according to usage and projected need.
- Maintains adequate amounts of lab supplies and initiates steps to increase or decrease quantities as necessary. Removes expired blood products on a timely basis with proper record keeping.
- Performs periodic quality control checks on equipment. Reviews daily quality control performed by others on items including freezers, refrigerators, centrifuges, incubators, donor room equipment, worksheets, and computer review.
- Actively assist in in-service education of the staff.
- Performs related duties, as required.
- Ability to participate in quality management operation of the lab.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Blood Banking/transfusion Services
- Demonstrates the ability to monitor the quality control and all other quality performance standards and policy procedures followed in the lab.
- Develops and teaches new testing and other lab procedures to subordinates, other lab techs and new employees.
- Consults with the pathologists and lab administrator on difficult, unusual and other daily operational procedures.
- Coordinates daily laboratory operations as per safety standards of the lab.
Experience: Minimum of six (6) years pertinent clinical laboratory experience, required. Prior supervisory experience, preferred
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or related degree, required.
Licenses / Certifications: Licensed by New York State Education Department (NYSED) as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist (or Cytotechnologist, as appropriate to area of assignment).
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently in a time sensitive environment.
- Ability to perform accurately and consistently under high stress.
- Computer literacy and familiarity with the operation of basic office software
- Ability to react quickly to emergency situations.
- May assist with the training and orientation of new employees and clinical students from various departments and external institutions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required as professional Laboratory Supervisor.