The New York County District Attorney's Office
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Video Retrieval Investigator (Consultant)
at The New York County District Attorney's Office
|Title:||Video Retrieval Investigator (Consultant)|
|Campaign Start Date:||02/03/2020|
|Salary Range:||$35 per hour|
The New York County District Attorney’s Office (DANY) has multiple openings for Video Retrieval Investigators in its Trial Division. In this position, under supervision, with some latitude for independent judgment and initiative, the Investigator is responsible for going out in the field to canvass for, locate, and download video surveillance. This position requires that you carry a firearm and meet all necessary New York State qualifications and requirements to do so. Please note that these positions vary in status to include: per diem, part-time and full-time and may require ability to work flexible shifts.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Primary responsibility will be conducting field assignments to locate video evidence and related discoverable material.
- Canvass locations for video, interacting with members of the community including business owners/workers, management companies and superintendents to identify video cameras.
- Develop contacts in the community to assist in the locating and retrieval of video surveillance and discovery.
- Work to identify viewing angles as well as camera capabilities.
- Obtain and download video surveillance onto external memory sources and upload video/data into DANY system(s).
- Serve subpoenas on individual businesses and residential buildings for video and other discovery materials.
- Prepare reports regarding efforts to obtain and retrieve video surveillance and related materials.
- Obtain necessary contact information for video custodians at incident locations.
- Maintain records of contact people and locations of surveillance camera locations.
- Perform field visits to businesses, communities and other law enforcement contacts.
- Testify at Grand Jury and at trial regarding the methods used to obtain and download video.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
- Prior investigative experience in law enforcement, private firms, or related fields is required.
- Experience as an investigator in locating and dealing with witnesses as well as serving subpoenas on individuals and/or businesses.
- Familiarity with what materials are discoverable under current N.Y. state law.
- Familiarity with the operation and extraction techniques from video surveillance systems.
- Familiarity with chain of custody protocols.
- Knowledge of audio-visual and related electronic equipment.
- Ability to learn basic video retrieval procedures along with emerging technologies as necessary.
- Experience with authenticating video surveillance time stamps.
- Ability to interact with witnesses and law enforcement community and develop contacts within those communities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple short-term projects.
- Ability to follow direction and apply proper policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with staff in a team oriented environment.
Graduation from high school or its equivalent and a minimum of four (4) years of experience conducting investigations to identify or gather evidence and related work.
These Additional Requirements May Apply:
- Firearms qualification/license required.
- Must have a valid NYS driver’s license.
- Must pass a medical exam, drug test, psychological screening and an intensive background check.
- Must possess a current valid certificate of completion from a New York State Basic Course for Police Officer Academy.
- As per NY Public Officers Law 2 §3-B, U.S. citizenship required.
The New York County District Attorney's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer