The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
P/T TRANSPORTATION OFFICER
at The Geo Group
Facility: Queens Private Correctional Facility
Compensation Base: $18.50/hr plus Health & Welfare benefits
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- This position is responsible for securely transporting detainees between destinations, providing security at US federal courts , detention facilities and ensuring vehicles used for transportation activities are safe and properly maintained.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts pre-trip, during-trip, and post-trip inspections of all vehicles operated. Provides written Daily Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR) at the end of each trip or shift and ensures that all potential safety defects are reported to the Transportation Supervisor.
- Ensures that all permits and licenses are in order before beginning a trip. Notifies the Transportation Manager if there are problems before initiating a trip.
- Ensures that vehicles have the necessary safety equipment before initiating a trip. Notifies the Transportation Manager if there are problems before initiating a trip.
- Completes all necessary paperwork and reports in an accurate and thorough manner. Ensures that all reports are turned into the facility according to described policies and procedures.
- Ensures that detainees are properly secured prior to leaving a facility and while in a vehicle. Ensures that all paperwork is obtained and completely accurately and thoroughly when obtaining detainees at a facility and delivering them to their appropriate destinations.
- Ensures that all safety measures are followed at all time while transporting detainees, including but not limited, to all application federal, state, municipal and organizational laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Immediately contacts safety authorizations and facility management in the event of an accident. Provides detailed information, both verbally and written, to requesting authorities.
- Delivers vehicles for servicing and picks them up when ready.
- Position requires wearing of professional business attire.
- Provide security in US Federal Courts and facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Unrestricted Conceal Carry Handgun Permit. Retired Peace Officers must have a New York City, NYPD Carry Permit.
- New York State Armed Guard License.
- Must have completed an approved training program resulting in a certification of satisfactory completion in Law Enforcement with a minimum of 3 years experience as a sworn Law Enforcement Officer.
- Own and be proficient in the use of a semi-automatic pistol chambered in 9mm or .40 caliber.
- Must pass semi-annual United States Marshal Service handgun qualification course of fire.
- Must pass GEO Group and US Department of Transportation medical examination.
- Candidate must be able to pass thorough federal background investigation.
- Must pass initial and random drug screening tests.
- Physically able to perform the full range of duties supervising and controlling criminal defendants and prisoners.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required. Possession of applicable state requisites for employment.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- A valid “Class B” or “Class C” Driver’s License (CDL) with a Passenger (P) endorsement at time of hire.
- Successfully complete company provided Eighty (80) hours of certified driver’s training.
- A current driver’s license with no preventable accidents, suspensions for driving convictions, Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or more than two (2) moving violations on any type of vehicle for the past three (3) years.
- Passing a company and Department of Transportation (DOT) drug and alcohol test.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays and overtime.
- Ability to handle physical and mental stress associated with working extended hours.
- Must be able to regularly report to work without being late.
- Ability to be physically alert on any shift that is assigned.
- Ability to work up to sixteen (16) hours within a rolling 24 hour period.
- Must be mature, flexible, and able to command the respect and confidence of inmates or detainees and staff, philosophically committed to the objectives of the facility, and possess a high tolerance to mental stress.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
- Trained and experienced in the use of restraint devices.