Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Sous Chef
at Highgate Management
- Requisition ID
- Job Location
- US-NY-New York
Highgate is a premier real estate investment and hospitality management company widely recognized as an innovator in the industry. Highgate is the dominant player in U.S. gateway markets including New York, Boston, Miami, San Francisco and Honolulu. Highgate also has a key presence in Barcelona. Highgate’s portfolio of global properties represents an aggregate asset value exceeding $10B and generates over $2B in cumulative revenues. The company provides expert guidance through all stages of the hospitality property cycle, from planning and development through recapitalization or disposition. Highgate also has the creativity and bandwidth to develop bespoke hotel brands and utilizes industry leading proprietary revenue management tools that identify and predict evolving market dynamics to drive out performance and maximize asset value. With an executive team consisting of some of the industry’s most experienced hotel management leaders, the company is a trusted partner for top ownership groups and major hotel brands. Highgate maintains corporate offices in London, New York, Dallas, and Seattle.
Edging the bright lights of Broadway and the calm of Bryant Park, The Knickerbocker is a legendary New York landmark reborn as the first luxury hotel in Times Square. Filled with fabled legends, The Knickerbocker once played host to legendary political bigwigs, actresses, oil tycoons and sports figures—and it’s rumored the martini was invented here in the hotel. While historic details like the hotel’s gorgeous Beaux-Arts facade remain unchanged, a soothing new luxury aesthetic is offered within. The stunning transformation of this treasured Manhattan monument invites discerning travelers to discover 300 luxe guestrooms and suites boasting incredible views and bespoke furnishings. An air of posh authenticity embraces New York City’s premier luxury lifestyle hotel.
The Senior Sous Chef is responsible for ensuring that all meals coming from the kitchen are well prepared with regard to quality, consistency, eye appeal, taste and food cost. He/she is expected to provide training for all staff; meet corporate quality standards; and assist in establishing and enforcing food specifications, portion control, recipes and sanitation. The Sous Chef is also responsible for controlling food and labor costs while maximizing guest satisfaction.
- Know, enforce, inspect, and hold Team members accountable for all local health department sanitation laws.
- Preparation of required reports, including (but not limited to) Wage Progress, payroll, revenue, employee Schedules, quarterly actions plans.
- Review, approve, and manage all weekly payroll.
- Supervise day to day operations of all Culinary Employees including Cooks, Prep Cooks, and Pastry Cooks.
- Track and Manage monthly Food Costs based on purchasing, food production, controlling food waste, all to ensure food cost budget.
- Pre-Planning, Planning, executing and maintaining banquets, special events as well as external catering events.
- Creating HACCP plans and following New York City Department of Health Guidelines.
- Monitor and maintain food temperature logs and ensure equipment is operating within DOH Temperature guidelines.
- Problem resolution i.e. handling day to day situations and problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Assist in creating and costing out recipes.
- Implementing all Highgate standards of operations and rules.
- Formulation and execution of action plans on how to improve and implement higher quality food and service.
- Attend all hotel required management meetings and trainings.
- Counsel and recommend on all hiring, execute progressive disciplining and firing.
- Oversee all aspects of the daily operation of the kitchen and food production areas.
- Coordinate and monitor all phases of Loss Prevention in kitchen areas.
- Training of all chefs and new hires to ensure adequate operation in all outlets. Monitor proper food portion size, visual appeal and taste and temperature of items served.
- Expediting and plating food, coordinating and communicating between front and back of house to ensure proper service during business hours.
- Check all par stock levels are updated and reflect current menu.
- Communicate to Engineering any physical maintenance problems.
- Logging and tracking monthly inventory levels.
- Work closely with purchasing manager to keep pars and costs in line
- Assist with roll outs of new menu concepts and ideas including training and food auditing
- Issue disciplinary actions with coaching and counseling of associates as necessary
- Cross train through all outlets to be able to work and cover all culinary outlet operations as business demands
- At least 4 years of related progressive experience; or a culinary graduate with at least 2 years of progressive experience in a hotel or a related field.
- Must have knowledge of F&B preparation techniques, health department rules and regulations, liquor laws and regulations.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
- Participate in M.O.D. coverage as required.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Highgate Hotel Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing nametags.
- Comply with Highgate Hotel Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.