Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Instructor, Art History
at Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Initial Review Date: 04/20/2020
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Art History, Foothill College.
Foothill – De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill–De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Under the direction of the Dean, Fine Arts and Communication, through a combination of face to face and online instruction, the successful candidate will teach a range of Introduction to Art and Art History survey and related courses.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Develop and practice effective teaching strategies that foster success in students with diverse backgrounds, learning styles, interests and abilities. Collaborate with faculty in art and other disciplines to enrich the curriculum and enhance student learning and success. Maintain currency in subject area, related technologies, and pedagogy. Instructors also have the opportunity to serve on district and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A Master's degree in art history, history of art and architecture, or visual culture/visual studies OR Bachelor’s degree in art history and master’s degree in history OR master’s degree in art with a recorded emphasis or concentration in art history OR the equivalent.
- Recent successful experience in teaching Art History to diverse groups of students with varying learning styles both face to face and online.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and use multiple teaching methods that engage students with diverse abilities, levels of preparation, and learning styles as well as the needs of a diverse, multicultural student population.
- The ability to consistently and appropriately assess and document student progress and to keep students informed of this progress in alignment with program and course student learning outcomes
- Interest and ability to develop and maintain relevant curriculum
- Commitment to evaluate and improve one’s pedagogy
- The ability to use instructional methods that emphasize cooperation and collaboration and that reflect cultural sensitivity and interdisciplinary approaches to subject matter
- Demonstrated experience in teaching some or all of the following: Western Art History, History of Women in Art and Non Western Art History (Asian, Indigenous North American, Islamic, Central American, African, Oceanic).
- Commitment to the teaching profession and enthusiasm for the mission of the community college.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Desire and ability to assume leadership responsibilities in the department, division and campus community.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $60,490.00 - $99,345.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant’s verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2020
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.