Doctors Without Borders
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Doctors Without Borders
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSFs common mission.
The Finance Department support MSF in carrying out its mission in an effective, efficient, ethical and accountable manner to its donors and the public at large by managing MSFUSA's budgetary, financial and accounting practice. The Finance team consist of 4 units - revenue, accounts payable, grants, and payroll.
The Payroll Manager is accountable for business processes primarily serving internal constituents of the organization. It includes management of payroll and related processes in close coordination with the HR Managers for Domestic and International Staff who provides salary and benefits information. It also includes management of inter-section billing and collection processes.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Manage and ensure disbursement of domestic and international payroll, benefits, taxes and other deductions for about 700 employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Ensure payroll and deductions comply with organizations policies, employee authorization and regulations, and that any discrepancies are identified and corrected.
- In coordination with HR, ensure the processing of payroll related items for new hires, temporary staff, transfers, promotions and terminations is accurate and timely.
- Review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures and recommend changes leading to best practices.
- Maintain payroll related benefit schedules such as 401K, flexible spending and transit. Manage uploads to the appropriate vendors websites on a regular basis and in a timely manner. Work with vendor to identify and repair any discrepancies in deductions for such benefits.
- Act as administrator for payroll vendor related online systems such as ADP Workforce Now
- Maintain high level of technical knowledge in all areas of payroll processing including advanced payroll concepts and tax reporting. Remain up-to-date with any changes to federal and state law affecting payroll, benefits administration, and taxation. Keep abreast of regulations pertaining to ex-pats working abroad, recommend policy and ensure compliance.
- Prepare relevant management reports including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.)
II. Section Billing
- Oversee preparation, transmittal and recording of invoices to MSF sections in a timely manner.
- Supervise timely reconciliation of intra-company accounts.
- Responsible for payroll journal entries that accurately reflect personnel costs in the GL.
- Maintain schedules to calculate allocation of employee benefit related costs and prepares appropriate journal entries.
- Perform reconciliation of Form 941 with general ledger and amendments, as appropriate.
- Analyze, adjust and correct related journal entries as needed.
- Responsible for payroll-related schedules for the audit and Form 990.
- Attend departmental meetings to share information, brainstorm solutions and coordinate priorities.
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings and several annual office-wide debates to participate in information sharing across all departments and stay informed on important MSF topics so as to be able to contribute to the organizations ongoing development.
- Guides the progress and development of staff.
- Other duties, as assigned.
V. Fiscal Responsibility
- Responsible for reviewing payroll-related invoices for accuracy of coding, proper authorization and compliance with fiscal procedures and rules.
- Responsible for reviewing section billings for accuracy of coding, proper authorization and compliance with fiscal procedures and rules.
- Support development of the MSF-USA budget related to personnel and payroll costs.
VI. Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VII. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends as required.
Skill / Requirements
· At least 5 years of experience managing a complex payroll department
· Extensive knowledge of payroll information technology (ADP certified preferred)
· Finance, accounting or business administration education and/or equivalent experience
· Proficient with MS Office (especially Excel)
· Working experience of federal, state and local payroll taxes, 401K, benefits, etc.
· Ability to manage and lead staff to excellent performance
· Must be a team player
· Must be highly organized
Desired Hiring Date
December 17, 2018
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: "Payroll Manager" position.
Application Deadline: December 7, 2018